Monoprice Maker Select v2
Monoprice Maker Select v2#
I bought my first 3D printer from Amazon in 2018 for $300. It’s on the cheaper end but there’s a large community behind it.
Oct ‘21 Upgrading Parts#
First set up parts being upgraded with:
I started to get filament jams in the middle of prints. Since I started to take the printer apart I thought it would be a good idea to get some upgrades in.
I replaced the nozzle and hot end (except for the heat block) with an all-metal version (the original had a small teflon tube inside the heat break), replaced the carriage plate underneath the bed with a thicker one that better resists warping, replaced the cheap noisy fans with Noctuas with custom shortened and crimped wires, and added a thermal pad between the heat sink and the cooling block (there was nothing there before, just metal-on-metal contact).
For crimping the wires I used the following:
Oct ‘21 Magnetic Build Plate#
I’ve been using a 220x220mm Borosilicate Glass Bed placed on top of the BuildTak sheet that came with my printer along with glue stick with some success. This upgrade replaces all that with a magnetic steel sheet which has a layer of PEI on it.
Isopropyl alcohol (I used 91%) to remove adhesive residue
Gloves (I used nitrile gloves) to prevent adhesive from reconstituting on your fingers